Children in all countries of the world are precious. But those who must overcome great odds hold a special place in our hearts. Volunteer in Peru, and care for vulnerable children of all ages.
The rapid migration of families from rural areas surrounding Lima into the city has generated many social problems and left thousands of children homeless or neglected. But, thanks to our host partners, loving and safe "homes" give vulnerable children in Lima a chance for a fulfilling future. Global Volunteers works in partnership with public and private children's homes to offer compassionate support in a number of ways. Family and individual volunteers can contribute to childcare and labor projects to change children's futures! Read an account by 13-year-old volunteer Amy Pinkus.
What's more, through our partnership with an impressive English Language Center accessible to students of all means and backgrounds, you're able to help deliver valuable English skills which can be a passport out of poverty for many. Whether working one-on-one with "at-risk" children, or serving as a classroom resource, you have an unprecedented opportunity to help others while immersing yourself in a complex and colorful culture as a volunteer in Peru.
"In general and overall, the trip was breath-taking and very wonderful for us, individually and as a family. We loved volunteering in Peru."
~ Jeanne Blaustein, mother in family of four
essential services in these ways:
- teaching math, science and geography
- demonstrating study skills and assisting with homework
- teaching health, nutrition and hygiene
- promoting girls' education
- providing conversational English instruction to small groups of college students
- demonstrating effective hand washing
- starting and maintaining school gardens
- constructing and repairing school and health facilities