We collaborate with universities, colleges and high schools across the country to integrate service-learning components into broad-based curricula such as:
- field experience in development and foreign aid
- direct assistance in public health and health care
- "real-world" experience in foreign language studies
- cross-cultural communication and international relations
Additionally, service programs offer unmatched opportunities to enhance interpersonal skills, problem-solve professional situations in an intercultural context, and enhance critical thinking skills.
"This experience reiterated the importance of service in my life. When I travel, I now look into ways of traveling that also involve service and volunteering. I hope one day to bring more college students on Global Volunteers programs. In graduate school, a professor always reminded of us of Covey's quote, 'seek first to understand, then to be understood'. This has resonated with me in my volunteer experiences and my work with a diverse student population. I think that if more people took the time to understand each other’s perspectives, before voicing their own, the world might be a bit more friendly."
~ Christy Heaton, Associate Director for Orientation and
First Year Student Success, University of New Orleans
Global Volunteers is a co-sponsored volunteer partner with the University of Minnesota Learning Abroad Office and meets study abroad criteria for a number of other colleges. If you are a college administrator or faculty advisor with questions, please contact us for details about offering our service programs to your student body. Consider a volunteer vacation as an "alternative break" in winter or spring.
Organize a group of six or more, obtain special discounts, and magnify your assistance abroad. Exclusive groups of at least 10 volunteers may select non-published dates or join a formed, public team. Contact a Volunteer Coordinator at 1-800.487-1074 for more information on your options. What does my service program fee cover? Learn more here. You can also fundraise online for all or a portion of your service fee and travel costs. Use our fundraising tips for ideas.
Choose Your Team Early! Make the most of your volunteer experience by preparing well in advance of your service program. Our volunteer coordinations are available to answer your questions and walk you through the service options within each partner community. Many Global Volunteers service programs fill very early, especially during spring break and summer months.
1. Speak with a Volunteer Coordinator at 800-487-1074 to learn more about your opportunities.
2. Choose a service program/date based upon your specific skills, interests or course of study.
3. Complete your application either online, by phone or fax. Don't forget your student discount and fundraising page!
4. Arrange airfare once you submit your volunteer preparation materials and are accepted on the team.
5. Apply for your visa (if required) and schedule any immunizations (if required).
"The babies (in Romania) were beautiful and the other children were very cute. The whole 'people are starving, finish your meal' saying is true. I definitely have taken things for granted. I believe money is much better in the hands of those who need it, than in bank accounts."
~ Rachel Tighe, University of New York student